Hornsby Station was opened in 1886 and later renamed as Hornsby Junction in 1894. They gave the name Hornsby to another station which was busier during that period. However due to the increased confusion between the two stations, in 1900 it was reverted back to Hornsby and the other station was named Normanhurst. Located 25 kilometres by train from Sydney Central Station, Hornsby has frequent services to Central via different lines passing through Macquarie Park or Gordon.
The main importance of this station is the junction for the North Shore, Northern and Western Lines for the Sydney Railway network. Where Intercity and Express services also stop on the way to Central Coast and Newcastle. Thus makes Hornsby Station an important part of the community, providing a bustling business district hub for retails and the linkage between Sydney and Newcastle. This is one of the reasons why dentist in Hornsby, Hornsby Dental feels fortunate to be located in this very accessible area.
This historical station has undergone major refurbishment and addition, however you can still see the late Victorian architecture on the platforms. Platform 1 and ⅔ has lost a lot of it characteristic through major alteration and extension but it does retain some of their original materials and details.
Platform ⅘ has also been through modern extensions such as the platform awnings. Yet the platform building itself reminisce of the late Victorian railway with the high quality joinery still visible and features such as rendered windows and gable roof vents.
Being a high volume station where people use this station for interchange, a footbridge was constructed in 1910 at the northern end of the platforms. This provides access to all platforms and freeing the overcrowding on the concourse. The footbridge is made out of steel beam supported by light steel trussed frames and with recent modification of metal roof and aluminium framed glazing to provide better weather protection.
The former barracks positioned near the north western corner of the rail yard was the former Rest house. This building is now used as offices, administration, staff and train crew facilities.
The historical features can still be seen through the decorative bands of roughcast plaster and several chimneys. The double hung sash windows has coloured glass in the upper sashes and each window has tuck pointed arches and contrasting brick bullnose sills.
The former signal box which is no longer in use is still a part of Hornsby Station's rich history. Even though it’s no longer required the two storey brick and fibre cement structure has been relocated due to the expansion and additional platforms.
Originally situated next to the former substation it has been moved closer to the station and restored. The lower level for this building was designed to house the power supplies, while the upper level accommodates the signalmen and diagrams to advise the position of trains.
The most modern part of the station will be the concourse running across Station Street to George Street and Florence Street. It provides staff facilities, information, ticketing and retail. On Station Street, the bus and taxi stand is conveniently located for easy transport links. While on the other side a long contemporary bridge connects to Florence Street making it a 2 minute walk to Westfield shopping centre.